Corn Cookies

Untitled

What's your latest Netflix obsession? Ours is "The Mind of a  Chef", superbly narrated by Anthony Bourdain. The whole first season centres around David Chang, and I've never had such strong cravings for ramen before but now it's all I can think about. Well, and then last night one episode showed off his pastry chef Christina Tosi and all her excellent work. Case in point: the corn cookie. Since the Momofuku Milk Bar Cookbook holds a prominent space in my collection, I knew I could make this.. if I only had the ingredients. Most of them are very accessible, but then there's the star: freeze-dried corn powder. Well how lucky that I picked up a container of the stuff on my last trip to New York! I had pretty much forgotten about it and I think it might have been a tiny bit stale, but I don't care. The cookies are still delicious.

I made mine about half the size of the original, and I simply scooped and froze the balls, which is why my cookies are little higher than they should be. Well, I don't care about that either, because they still taste great.

Corn Cookies
about 30

225 g butter at room temperature (or slightly colder)
300 g sugar
1 egg
225 g flour
65 g freeze dried corn powder 
45 g corn flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1,5 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

Start by creming butter and sugar on medium speed for three minutes. Scrape down the sides, add the egg and cream for 7-8 minutes. Yes, it sounds long. Just do it. Momofuku Milk Bar uses a very specific creaming method for their cookies. For details on this, please see the actual book.

Fold in the dried ingredients and mix until the dough comes together.

Scoop - I use a 1 tbsp cookie scoop - on to a lined baking sheet, spacing them well apart. Press down a little. Chill for at least one hour or up to one week. Or do what I did and stick them in the freezer.

Bake at 175�C for about 12-14 minutes. 

Post a Comment for "Corn Cookies"